New Syllabus & Pattern for Civil Services Pre Exam
NEW DELHI: Aimed at creating a level-playing field for India’s top civil services namely IAS, IFS, IPS and others, the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has made some sweeping changes in the syllabus for the 2011 preliminary examination, which does away with the optional paper. In addition to testing aptitude and other skills, the new syllabus will also test candidates’ knowledge of “environmental ecology, biodiversity and climate change”.
For the first time, English language comprehension has been introduced in the civil services pre exam as English language test is part of qualifying papers in the civil services (Main) examination.
Unlike the current system/pattern of optional paper (300 marks) and GS paper (150 marks), the new syllabus for Civil services pre exam will have 2 common papers with equal weightage (200 marks each).
The syllabus and pattern of Civil Services Preliminary Examination would be as under:
Paper I (200 marks) – Duration: Two hrs.
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and Indian national movement
- Indian and World Geography- physical, social, economic geography of India and the world
- Indian Polity and governance – constitution, political system, panchayati raj, public policy, Rights issues, etc.
- Economic and social development – sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics, social sector initiatives etc.
- General issues on environmental ecology, bio-diversity and climate change-that do not require subject specialization
- General science.
Paper II (200 marks) – Duration: Two hrs.
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc. (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. –Class X level)
- English language comprehension skills (Class X level)
- Changes Made to Civil Service Examination 2011 New Delhi: Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on Monday announced...
- Online AIEEE 2012 to Have Language Switch Option NEW DELHI: All the aspirants who have opted for online...
- Common Medical Entrance Test 2012, MCI Issues Syllabus NEW DELHI : The syllabus for Common Medical Entrance Test...
- HSC and SSC 2011 Exam Dates (Timetable) Announced PUNE: The Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary...
- TNPSC Group 1 Pre Result 2010 Available Online CHENNAI: The Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) has announced...